KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.
9540344

My boyfriend gave me a jeep and i gave him his down payment

Customer Question

My boyfriend gave me a jeep and i gave him his down payment back and I've been paying the note on it for about two years now and now he took it back because we broke up and now he won't repay me back the money I put into it. I have my receipt but the car is in his name. What can I do.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

What receipt do you have? What does it show?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much I payed and how much is owed. I was almost done with the notes.

At this point, you would need to sue him. If there was an agreement between you and him, whereby you bought the jeep and paid him back his down payments and made all payments to date, then he needs to turn the jeep back over. He can not just take the jeep back because you broke up, as there was an agreement to sell.buy the jeep. One thing has nothing to do with the other. As such, if he will not repay you, then you can either 1) sue him for all the money which you paid or 2) sue him for the actual jeep ( specific performance). The car being in his name makes him the owner but if you can show and support the agreement and you have receipts showing payment, you have a strong civil case against him.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns? I am here to help so please just let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.