How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KnowYourRights Your Own Question
KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 28053
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
KnowYourRights is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend gave me a jeep and i gave him his down payment

Customer Question

My boyfriend gave me a jeep and i gave him his down payment back and I've been paying the note on it for about two years now and now he took it back because we broke up and now he won't repay me back the money I put into it. I have my receipt but the car is in his name. What can I do.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 11 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 11 months ago.

What receipt do you have? What does it show?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How much I payed and how much is owed. I was almost done with the notes.
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 11 months ago.

At this point, you would need to sue him. If there was an agreement between you and him, whereby you bought the jeep and paid him back his down payments and made all payments to date, then he needs to turn the jeep back over. He can not just take the jeep back because you broke up, as there was an agreement to the jeep. One thing has nothing to do with the other. As such, if he will not repay you, then you can either 1) sue him for all the money which you paid or 2) sue him for the actual jeep ( specific performance). The car being in his name makes him the owner but if you can show and support the agreement and you have receipts showing payment, you have a strong civil case against him.

Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 11 months ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns? I am here to help so please just let me know.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.