How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot get my tax returns and recites from my CPA. He will

Customer Question

Hello, I cannot get my tax returns and recites from my CPA. He will not even issue me a letter stating that our taxes were filed successfully
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: I am in the state of CA and no I really don't know who should I seek legal counsel from related to this matter. This is just simply wrong
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: What you mean by the manufacturer? I am referring to my CPA who process my yearly tax return
JA: I hope not. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I just need to be aware of my rights. Why can't I get my tax returns and recites, this is so simple.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation with your CPA. (Please excuse the misunderstanding with our intake forms above regarding manufacturer).

If you have not already done so - send a written (USPS letter) demand to the CPA asking for your file, including the return and your receipts. Keep a copy.

In your letter give the CPA a specific number of days to comply (for example, send all documents within 14 days of the date of this letter).

If the CPA still refuses or fails to provide the documents, file a complaint with the CA Board of Accountancy here:

You can also consider suing the CPA in small claims court (you do not need a lawyer, and you can usually get to a resolution in about 2-4 months), the California Courts have all of the necessary forms and helpful information here: