Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

American Airlines left me without baggage for 2+ days and is

Customer Question
now refusing to compensate me...
American Airlines left me without baggage for 2+ days and is now refusing to compensate me for hotel accommodations, taxi fares, and food cost that I have submitted reimbursement for. Is this right or fair?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/19/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: retireddebra,
 replied 1 year ago
retireddebra

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

replied 1 year ago

I don't understand the basic facts why would you be entitled to hotel accommodations, taxi fares and food costs because they lost your baggage?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was transitting with American Airlines and becasue they left my luggage in Miami, I missed my connection flight to my final destination same date. I was able to get the connecting flight the following day, and on the 3rd day they sent my luggage to my final destination. I therefore needed to overnight, get toilletries and clothing for 2 nights (need taxi for this), and I need to eat dinner and lunch before I reached my final destination.
 replied 1 year ago

By why didn't you go on without your luggage?

I am not following.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Because, I had to first wait to see if my luggage came, an after realizing it had not arrived, I had to file a claim. My luggage was checked through directly from Grand Cayman to Managua, Nicaragua. I did not have to collect it until I reached Managua. However, Managua was not my final desitation. I had a domestic connection to take me to my final destination. In the time it took to wait for my luggage and then file a claim with the airline, I missed my connecting flight to my final destination. I was not able to get another flight until late the following day (after waiting on standby all day).I was then told by the American Airlines rep (after I went back to them and advised that I had missed my connecting flight) that all I need to do was to go and buy whatever I needed (toilletries, change of clothing, food, etc) and upon m return to Grand Cayman make a submission for reimbursement. I did this, only to now be told that they are not covering certain expenses including taxi fares, hotel and food. They only thing they are offering to cover is the cost of the items purchased (2 change of clothes, toilletries) and the cost of a collegne that was stolen out of my back. Further when they send my luggage on the 3-day to my final destination, I had to go to the air port to collect (incurring further taxi fare).
 replied 1 year ago

This question is on the Canada law list but I don't see where our law comes in.

Are you in Canada?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am not in Canada, so I don't know why I would have been routed there. So clearly you are not able to assist.
 replied 1 year ago

I will ask the site to move this to the correct list for you.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Here are AA's terms and conditions of carriage. They state in relevant part:

Delays, cancellations and diversions

American Airlines will provide customers at the airport and onboard an affected aircraft with timely and frequent updates regarding known delays, cancellations and diversions and will strive to provide the best available information concerning the duration of delays and to the extent available, the flight's anticipated departure time.

We are not responsible for any special, incidental or consequential damages if we do not meet this commitment.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.

In extreme circumstances, it is possible that a flight will cancel while on the ground in the city to which it was diverted. When this happens you will be rerouted on the next American flight with available seats, or in some circumstances on another airline or some other alternative means of transportation. If we are unable to reroute you, reasonable overnight accommodations will be provided by American, subject to availability.

American will provide amenities for delayed passengers, necessary to maintain the safety and/or welfare of certain passengers such as customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, the elderly or others to whom such amenities will be furnished consistent with special needs and/or circumstances.

If you facts fall within these parameters and they are not complying with the stated terms and conditions, you may want to sue AA in small claims court as this would be a breach of their contract with you.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer