CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I wrote 2 checks to my roommate for my share of the rent,

Customer Question

I wrote 2 checks to my roommate for my share of the rent, each check was $625.00. Both checks bounced. He is asking for me to pay him again which I am willing to do and will do so with a Cashier's Check. My question is if I make retribution to him can he still file a police report and have me arrested? State is Florida
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

It is very rare for "bad check" cases to actually result in criminal prosecution.

However, the laws regarding this are described in very great detail (moreso than I could retype in this "Q&A" format) in this article here: http://www.jimersoncobb.com/blog/2010/08/the-penalties-for-passing-a-bad-check-in-florida/