Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

ABC Company, a California corporation, prepared a consumer

Customer Question
report for employment purposes for...
ABC Company, a California corporation, prepared a consumer report for employment purposes for a client. Consumer is being sued by a former employer, and attorney for former employer wants to subpoena said consumer report. Since the consumer report is regulated by the Fair Credit Reporting Act and California law, are there any regulatory or statutory protections from compelled disclosure?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/15/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Any document that is subpoenaed by lawful subpoena is fair game and must be turned over. If the report is confidential or contains confidential information, they can file a motion for a protective order to protect the confidential information from being contained in the public court records. However, even in the FCRA if there is a legal subpoena for information, that is a court order that must be complied with.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer