How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6801
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has worked for over 30 years. He developed mental

Customer Question

my brother has worked for over 30 years. He developed mental illness a few years ago. He suffers from extreme anxiety about his job. He has been hospitalized twice. He works when his illness is under control. he takes medication. He is not lazy. I took him to a disability lawyer who said it takes about 18 months for a claim t go through and that would include an appeal if necessary. She said him working could impact his disability benefits especially if he makes more then a certain amount of money. Could you please explain this better? i mean at least he is making attempts to work> Thank you
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Susan Scott replied 10 months ago.

I have practiced SSA Disability law for about 20 years. Yes, this takes at least 18 months depending on the age of the claimant and if there are any drugs or alcohol involved in mental illness cases. Yes, he really can earn only about $1000 gross per month and I suggest to my clients that anything over $800 is questionable. However, I suggest that he apply asap anyway. This process takes so long that he is losing money every day he waits. We never know what may happen during the wait. Have his monthly gross income for at least the last 12 monhs available. Remember GROSS. Also, have his medical providers with addresses and phone numbers for last 5 years or so to verify his chronic conditions. If he is a very high earner none of this advice will work. But, if he is in the range discussed above, I suggest he goes to the SSA office in your area and apply or call 1.***-***-****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He has always earned more the 50000 a year or better? I mean mental illness doesn't discriminate!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, what happens if you become disabled and not working anymore regardless if your previous salary. You now have no income!
Expert:  Susan Scott replied 8 months ago.

Once he is no longer working, he may apply for Social Security Disability. As previously noted, this is not a quick process. But, if he does not apply as soon as he stops working he is not going to get assistance.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions