How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 57705
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented a vacation condo, signed a contract and sent in

Customer Question

I rented a vacation condo, signed a contract and sent in $500 deposit and the first installment. Sent the 2nd and final payment 2 weeks before we arrived. We arrived and it was 96 degrees and the AC was broken. The hot spell continued all week. We had no AC for 6 days. The owner told me she ripped up my final payment. she was supposed to send back my $500 deposit two weeks after the rental. It has been a month and I emailed her and she said she should have been clearer but by ripping up the check I am not going to receive my $500 deposit. She is an attorney and keeps referring to this situation as an accounting error and now her last text says she kept the check and she will deposit it and then send my deposit back. what should I do and isn't she legally bound by our contract? thank you.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New york
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Legally the contract is binding. If it is not honored you can threaten legal action to enforce it, and if needed pursue a case in state court where she is located. More likely she will back down to avoid lawsuit.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me 5 stars, thank you