Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I have a question about the intent of the rebating laws. I

Customer Question

I have a question about the intent of the rebating laws. I have a situation in which an insurance broker set up group health insurance policies with high commissions. In this instance the broker earned over $330,000 of commissions in the policies. The insured now wants a return of some of the commissions by renewing the policies with no commissions in them and working on a reduced fee. Additionally the insured would like the insurance broker to return some of the commissions earned. Are these two examples of rebating and prohibited by law?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it against the law for the insured to ask for a refund or is rebating just the act of the insurance broker giving back money.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Here is the law.

It appears that what you are trying to do may be confused as a violation under this law unless, you create a conflict resolution trail in which it is made clear that the refund in premiums was not some form of inducement for you to insure with any particular insurer; but rather grounds in a fraud or misrepresentation claim which you would have pursued in court but were able to settle. In other words, I would make sure there is a written settlement agreement documenting this as a legal claim against the broker which settled.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.