How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33134
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2008 Ford Focus with 77,000 miles. At time of

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Ford Focus with 77,000 miles. At time of purchase their was no warranty sticker on the windows nothing signed for extended warranty. At the time of purchase it had 75,000 miles on it and it was just under 2 months ago. The purchase was from a used car dealership. They are a PA registered used motor vehicle dealership. The vehicle went into the shop 3 times for air conditioning issues. Now the Transmission has to be determined issues. It may need a Transmission. I looked it up. PA has a 1 year or 12,000 mile lemon law. Is this covered under this? Do I have a choice of returning the vehicle under lemon law? Or do I have to pay for these repairs If I don't?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

The so-called "Lemon Law" does not cover used cars. The federal "lemon law" covers cars still under the manufacturer's warranty.

So, in order for the dealer to be liable you would have to be able to show they made material misrepresentations of fact in writing. That way you could make a claim for fraud.

Otherwise, you can still make a consumer complaint to the Pennsylvania Attorney General. See the following link:

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what options are available for a used car in PA for a vehicle sold from a used car Dealership
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

If it was purchased without any express warranty then you options are limited. You can sue for fraud if you can show material misrepresentation, such as an odometer rollback. Otherwise, any maintenance is your expense.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.