How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116829
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I let my friend use my car, she was arrested, my car towed..

Customer Question

I let my friend use my car, she was arrested, my car towed.. Besides it took me a week to find the car, the kind officer talked to them and they we're only charging me 375.00 I went to pick up(car in husbands name) w husband an hour plus from my home.. On phone she said they closed at 5 I could not find tow place.. I called they didn't give me directions and said they closed at 4:30. I went home. No car.. She(tow lot) was angry and said our charges we're almost $800.00..but officer called them and had it reduced.. I didn't get a notification from them about my car for more than a week.. In fact the day after I attempted to get it I got the letter.. I don't have what now must be 1000.00 to pay tow yard.. I am t a loss.. I need my car.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to contact the officer again and you need to tell the officer what the lot did to you and ask for his help. You need to show up with your husband if the car is in his name. However, you will need to pay whatever fee the officer negotiates for you to get the car back. If the officer cannot negotiate the fee to be reduced, I am afraid that you are going to have to get the money to pay them to get the car back.
Once you get the car back, you could sue the girl who had the car for reimbursing you for the cost of the release of the car to you.