Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I PURCHASED A USED KIA 2013, 54000 MILES FOR $12,999 ON

Customer Question

HI I PURCHASED A USED KIA 2013, 54000 MILES FOR $12,999 ON 8/16/16. I COULD NOT AFFORD TO PAY $251/MO FOR 8%,72 MONTHS AND $233/MO FOR INSURANCE I TOLD THE DEALER MY SITUATION THAT IT WAS WAY 50% OF MY TOTAL NET INCOME MO. AND WOULD LIKE TO RETURN IT. I ALSO TOLD THEM IN KELLEY BLUE BOOK VAUE WITH THAT MANY MILES, IT WAS $9,000 TO $ 10,000 DLRS. SHOULD I JUST LEAVE THE CAR AND THE KEY AT THE DEALER AND WALK OUT?
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: NO THE DEALER WON'T TAKE THE CAR BACK
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: YES, THEY DID A SHARK LOAN WITH ME FIRST THEY SAID IT WAS 3.9% THEN IT WAS 8% I WAS TOLD THAT IF I PAY 3 MOS ON TIME OF $251 THEY WILL REFINANCE MY LOAN AND LOWER IT!
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: BOSTON, MA
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

As you likely know, the lender is under no obligation to take the car back, cancel the contract and let you out of the deal. However, if you believe that you were a victim of fraud or if you believe the seller changed or concealed terms of the contract, you could have a claim that the contract was obtained by fraud.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If that is not the case, your only real option would be to walk away and see where things go......but the seller could sue you for the deficiency amount incurred after the vehicle is re-taken and re-sold. The seller could sue you for the loss it incurs. But, if you have a claim or potential claim for a fraudulent contract, the seller may pass on pressing you.