How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask insearchoftheanswer Your Own Question
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 55294
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
insearchoftheanswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Took car to an Audi Car Dealer Service in Bakersfield, CA to

Customer Question

Took car to an Audi Car Dealer Service in Bakersfield, CA to fix leak in coolant system. They said it would cost $1,341.00 dollars to fix. We paid the $1,341 to have it fixed.
Got car back and the coolant was still leaking out. Took back to place. They said there was another leak and it would cost 2,900.00 to fix - mostly labor.
We are asking them to either fix the leak, or give us back our money. If they had estimated it to be that much, we would have said no, and still have our $1,341.00 dollars.
They only offered $600.00 dollars off of the $2,900.00 dollars to fix the other leak. We
are not ready to put $2,300.00 more to fix other leak.
We feel they owe us. They gave an estimate to fix leak, but didn't!
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 10 months ago.

I agree with you. They're the experts and they had a duty to evaluate the problem fully and provide an estimate; and, you had the right to rely upon the estimate and that the car would be properly fixed for the estimated amount; if there is a mistake, it's they who should bear the burden of that mistake. What you want to do is raise the stakes on them. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demanding that fix the leak at their cost within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to let them know if forced to file this suit, you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as deceptive trade practice, fraud and gross negligence causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions