How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Stewart Your Own Question
David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 376
Experience:  Highly experienced Consumer Protection attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
David Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2002 glastron boat I took the boat in for a

Customer Question

I have a 2002 glastron boat I took the boat in for a flywheel repair the bolts sheared off. I took the boat in for this repair on 09/2015
I called the repair shop on the 15th of september and asked if he had got it done he said buy the end of the week. Called again at the end of the month he said he said he needed it another month. He never got to it until april 2015 I called his shop on 10/15/2015 and told him if he couldnt get to it to wintetize it. He said he would do that. Called on the first snow storm he said he hadnt got to it but he did winterize it and would store it in his shop Anyways the boat got fixed 04/20/2016. I took the boat out on the water that week. Got it out on the water for maybe 20min and something broke so I shut it down and called the same shop and he said to bring it in. So they found that the flywheel bolts had broke again. So the pulled the engine again and found that the block and the manifold had cracked and that he was going to turn into his insurance. Meanwhile he lost the shop and the new owners wanted me to come get the boat. After five months of dealing with his insurance they sent me a check for 1250.00 the quote to fix my boat is 6500.00. So what are my legal actions from hear.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with your claim tonight. I am really sorry for your trouble with the boat shop. In my opinion you should send the insurance company's check back to them with a letter enclosing the quote you have showing that it is going to cost a lot more to fix your boat than what they offered. If you cash the check it will be considered a binding settlement agreement and you will not be able to recover any more funds. If the insurance company will not pay you the amount you need in order to fix your boat, I would suggest filing a small claims matter. When you file and serve the small claims matter it will be against the entrance company and the individual who owned the shop previously. The day you serve that lawsuit in my opinion the entrance company will most likely promptly settle to avoid going to court. They owe you the amount in the estimate and nothing less. I hope this helps you, please feel free to reply with any follow-up questions you may have. Best regards, David