How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 32993
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just bought a new car last Thursday in Michigan and during

Customer Question

I just bought a new car last Thursday in Michigan and during the labor day weekend I happened to find that my car's hood VIN# ***** ***** to my documented VIN# (anywhere else on the car VIN#s match). I think my car now is in an illegal status and I can't drive it anymore.
I called the dealer yesterday and they can't give any logical or believable explanation. Today the dealer orally agreed to change a new car for me in next week but threatened us not to call the manufacturer's customer service and asked me not to put more miles on the odometer (now reading is 180mi only), and they refused to provide their promise in e-mail.
I want to know if the dealer is against any law; and if they play games in next week not to change the car, or ask additional fees or conditions, can I or do I need to file a lawsuit against them?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  JustAnswer replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for posting your question. We’re matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when will the expert call me?
How long I need to wait?
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

The dealer has a contractual obligation to provide clear and merchantable title. If the numbers are not matching, and the maintenance records do not explain the discrepancy, they are in breach and you can sue them for the breach of contract. You can also file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general. They will contact the dealer and take action, if deemed appropriate.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions