Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Price dipping of hotel rate: Hotel stayed: The Redbury

Customer Question

Price dipping of hotel rate:Hotel stayed: The Redbury NewarkI booked hotel using "hotwire hot rate" option more like priceline express deal. In this option it shows hotel rate, taxes and fees and radius of the hotel where its located. After making the payment the hotel name disclosed and total amt. I stayed in the hotel for three days and hotel charged my "Daily service charge" $28 per day and for three days of stay comes to $90 incl tax. I called hotwire and hotwire says its resort fee and hotel says its daily service fee. The fee was not advertised or mentioned any where in hotwire bill. Its clearly show hotwire deceived me by price dipping. The FTC guideline says if resort fee collected without advertising its illegal. Can I dispute the transaction on card? Should I dispute hotel transaction amt (who charged resort fee) or hotwire transaction amt(who charged hotel payment).I stayed in several hotels before and they are upfront about any resort fee or daily service charges. This is first time I came to know while checking out.Please advise.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You are correct, if Hotwire or the hotel did not disclose the resort fee, then it is not supposed to charge this fee. You need to start by contacting Hotwire and demanding a refund for that price. If Hotwire refuses, then you need to contact the hotel management and demand a refund. If they refuse, then you need to notify your credit card for a charge back and also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission as well.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need to dispute Hotwire payment or hotel payment?
Thank you for your reply.

You need to try to first resolve the dispute with the vendors. Then, if the vendors refuse you can inform the credit card company you tried to resolve the dispute and they refuse to comply with the laws and as such it is an improper charge.