How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started getting a wage garnishment and I did not know why.

Customer Question

I started getting a wage garnishment and I did not know why. I figured out I had a charge that was 9 years old that I thought was settled in court and they sent paper work to an old address that was 9 years old. I have done several address changes since then and if I had known there was a fine I would have paid it. Is there anything I can do to lower the amount due from 1000$ original amount to now 3000$ after interest?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

Was there a judgment issued against you in the suit that was filed or did you sign settlement papers?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't remember it was a long time ago, they just charged me with a minor in consumption of alcohol is all I know. I didn't even remember getting a fine I thought they dropped it all in court but I guess not. It was out of kitsap county wa I believe.
Expert:  Maverick replied 10 months ago.

The only thing that I can recommend that you do is to contact the creditor and see if you can settle this for a smaller sum of money in exchange for an agreed lump sump payment in the very near future so that they do not have to keep tracking you down to find out if you have any non-exempt assets from which to collect on the judgment.

You can use this form if a judgment was involved to show that you paid it off even if it was at an amount less than 3k. In other words, make sure the creditor signs this at the same time you make the lump sump payment.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions