How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 27076
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Zoey, i answered an ad in the la times for a home selling

Customer Question

hi zoey, i answered an ad in the la times for a home biz selling medical alert pendants from a co named senior guard alert based in lynbrook new york. when i realized i had been taken i called the sheriffs dept. they told me it was a deal gone bad. i insisted it was not that it was a scam and i had been ripped off for $55oo. they said go to the DA. i went to the DA they told me i had been taken but could not help me. i am in oxnard ca. these guys have disappeard. what would you do zoey?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York state, the city of Lynbrook
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Yes they are the ones who told me they dissapeard, they owe them alot of money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: should i try to contact the lynbrook police department or what?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.


I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

You have been scammed, and if you can find these folks you can take steps against them, such as suing the and having them prosecuted.

This company appears to have once been legitimate. They incorporated in New York State on February 23, 2012 and still display on the website of the New York State Secretary of State as a lawful active NYS corporation.

They do not list an agent for the service of process if you were to try to serve the company with a law suit but the Chief Executive Officer is listed and that may be of use to you/the police. I am giving you a screenshot attached.

This company is known to the Better Business Bureau and is A+ rated. So something may have happened to them -- they had to declare bankruptcy -- for example. They may not be out and out fraudsters. Here's the BBB review. They have had no complaints about them and they have been aware of them for their entire history.

So before you call the police, report them to the Better Business Bureau and see if they can assist you. You can also contact the New York State Attorney General's Office, which handles consumer protection issues for the the state. They may know something about what happened to them, and you'd want to report the to the State Attorney General anyway. You can also report them to the Federal Trade Commission at

And finally, yes, when you've done that, if you should report it to the police.

If all else fails, report it to your accountant. If this was a failed business venture you might be able to get something back in the form of a deduction when you file your taxes for 2016.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 11 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.