How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19134
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a garnishment for a judgement from 2008. I was

Customer Question

I received a garnishment for a judgement from 2008. I was unaware of this judgement until January 2015 when I received a letter from a law group. I asked them to verify the validity of this debt via certified letter and never had any response. My employer just sent me a writ of garnishment. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

If you were no aware of this judgment and thus were not served with the Summons and a copy of the Complaint for you to file an answer, you should have filed Motion to Vacate the Judgment and Motion to Stay the execution of the Writ. So, you need to file the Motions now to stop this garnishment.

You can obtain blank Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.