How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask David Stewart Your Own Question
David Stewart
David Stewart, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 374
Experience:  Highly experienced Consumer Protection attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
David Stewart is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to file a small claim ($2000) against Toyota. They

Customer Question

I want to file a small claim ($2000) against Toyota. They refuse to pay for a repair that the dealership said was needed and that the part is being recalled, due to the fact the "the warning light was not on". I feel like they owe me for the repair, since the part was broken AND they have recalled it. How and where can I file a claim against Toyota Corporation in Texas?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 11 months ago.

Lisa - the process for filing a small claims matter in Texas is set by each county court. The process is very simple and most of the paperwork can be done online or by mail. I am including a link to one county in Texas, but if this is not yours you can Google small claims and your county in Texas. It looks to me like you have a very good claim and my guess is as soon as you file and send it to them they will pay to settle. I hope this helps, David

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I think that is helpful - I am just confused because some information seems to point that you have to file a claim in the county where the corporation is. I just want to make sure that I can file against Toyota headquarters in my own county.
Expert:  David Stewart replied 11 months ago.

Lisa - I am also going to offer you a phone call if you want to talk through the process start to finish. In response to your follow up you can file in your county. It needs to be in the county you reside, or if you wanted to you could file in the state where Toyota is located.

Expert:  David Stewart replied 11 months ago.

My offer message is messed up but this is intended to walk you through the entire small claims process

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think you answered my question with the part about it being either in the county where the plaintiff resides or the state where Toyota is located. That was my main question. Thanks
Expert:  David Stewart replied 11 months ago.

Great, it is my pleasure to help. Please let me know if there is anything else and good luck with your case. All the best, David