How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm leasing a solar panel, it's been over 6 months since I

Customer Question

I'm leasing a solar panel, it's been over 6 months since I reported issues, there is no solution and barely any responses. They only respond with a "we will investigate" when I call, then nothing happens. Can I stop my monthly payments?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

I do not recommend stopping your payments. While the solar company may be in breach of contract right now, if you stop your payments, you too will be in breach, and they will have far greater leverage over you than you currently have now (they can usually make a delinquent credit report, and take other debt collection actions without having to go to court depending on how exactly your account is set up).

Your far more effective (and safer) route to deal with this company is to file a small claims case against them - this is relatively easy to do, you do not need a lawyer, and you can usually get a judgment within 2-4 months. The California Courts have all of the information and paperwork that you need on the self help site (here):

You can also file a complaint with the CA Attorney General (here:, but the AG's office will not necessarily enforce your contract rights - they investigate and take administrative or criminal enforcement action, so your strongest course is still a small claims suit - but you can always do both.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions