Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
16823287

I signed a 5 year contract for a home security system and

Customer Question

I signed a 5 year contract for a home security system and can no longer afford it... I was reading it and noticed it said I may cancel within 3 business days of the effective date .. But I notice there was no effective date and also there was no date period on my contract! So I sent a letter stating I wanted to cancel now the company said I can't and I would owe the rest of the contract $2,000 or more..
Is that right, shouldn't I be able to cancel? They did not fill out there paperwork right.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

I wish things were that simple. If you have received any service at all under this contract and they can prove the date that it started or if you have made even 1 payment, then the effective date can be filled in by the judge using circumstantial evidence.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are wanting a professional and honest answer.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.