How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19111
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son failed to pay last semester's college tuition of

Customer Question

My son failed to pay last semester's college tuition of $13,000. The college has turned the bill over to a collection agency which wants $16,500. We just heard about this from our son and offered to pay the college $13,000 but the schools insists it's out of their hands and will not let our son register unless the $16,500 is paid. We think this $3500 fee is usurious, especially since the school never notified us that it was turning the account over the a collection agency. Is there anything that we can do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your son's difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Is the a public or a private school?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A private college, Marymount University Arlington VA. Our son is in his senior year with only 5 courses left to take.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

Your Question:

Is there anything that we can do?

Response: Yes, there is. Yo can file complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and let the agency investigate the usurious $3,500.00 fee. Click here to file your complaint.

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions