Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

My son failed to pay last semester's college tuition of

Customer Question
$13,000. The college has turned...
My son failed to pay last semester's college tuition of $13,000. The college has turned the bill over to a collection agency which wants $16,500. We just heard about this from our son and offered to pay the college $13,000 but the schools insists it's out of their hands and will not let our son register unless the $16,500 is paid. We think this $3500 fee is usurious, especially since the school never notified us that it was turning the account over the a collection agency. Is there anything that we can do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/24/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your son's difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Is the a public or a private school?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A private college, Marymount University Arlington VA. Our son is in his senior year with only 5 courses left to take.

Thank you for the information.

Your Question:

Is there anything that we can do?

Response: Yes, there is. Yo can file complaint with Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and let the agency investigate the usurious $3,500.00 fee. Click here to file your complaint.

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law