CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

I had my roof replaced with shingles in June. The company

Customer Question

I had my roof replaced with shingles in June. The company that did the work is American Dream Home Improvement in Downers Grove, IL. Shortly after that I developed a leak in my ceiling in my bathroom. I called ADHI and they sent out their subcontractor who said the flat part of my roof was leaking. I called ADHI again and another man, Bill, came out and said that part of the roofing was not installed correctly, that there was a "bubble" in the shingles. He said he would call in 2-3 days and try to work with my insurance company to fix the flat part of the roof. My insurance company, Allstate, has already said the flat part was fine. When I talked to Don today at ADHI, he told me that all of their work was completed. I called Bill and he denied saying anything about fixing my leak. Please help.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you help me?

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

Your remedy is to sue the roofing company for "breach of contract" and "negligence" (failure to install the roof properly).

To do this, hire another roofer to come out and inspect the roof and provide you with both a formal expert opinion as to what is wrong with the roof and the installation job that was done, and an estimated cost of repair.

Before you sue, send a demand to the roofer giving them the information, tell them that they can come repair the damaged roof and you will have it inspected again (at their expense, not yours).

If they do not agree to this, you can file your lawsuit - hopefully this will be less than a $10,000.00 fix and you can sue in small claims court, have your roofer (the guy you hire to come look at it) testify for you in court.