How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 37041
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a primary on a car loan with my son, who is the

Customer Question

I am a primary on a car loan with my son, who is the co-signer. We did this to get the best rate, and help him with credit score. He has gone dark on me for the past 9 months, i.e. I am stuck with payment and insurance. I don't know where he lives, though I think I know where he's working. I have an opportunity to refinance, from 12.9% to 2.89%, but the son would have to sign docs. Do I have any recourse, small claims, or is this just a dad getting screwed?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

If the deal was that son pays for the car and he hasn't done so, then he is in breach of the contract with you and you have the legal right to sue him in small claims court for the money you have had to pay to keep the loan from going into default.


Further if the title is in both your names, you can repo the car from him if you can find it. If you don't have a key, if you have the title, you can get a new key made by the dealer based on the VIN.


Finding his car gone some morning will provide a big wake up call about his legal obligations and that they have repercussions..




Related Consumer Protection Law Questions