Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I signed an auto lease contract but did not take delivery of

Customer Question

i signed an auto lease contract but did not take delivery of the car can i break the lease?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: massachusetts its a new car lease
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: no should i
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats fine
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Have you actually paid anything towards the lease at this point?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1500 deposit only
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the issue is they gouged me on a national site the leas is advertised at approx 460 and my deal is for 560
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello? did i lose u? i don't want to talk

Ok, from a purely legal perspective, the lease is binding as soon as you sign it, even if you haven't paid anything or taken possession of the vehicle.

.

But if you were to refuse to continue on with the lease, the dealer could sue you under a breach of contract claim and they would win. Their damages would be calculated by whatever they could sell the car for which would then be subtracted from what you owe on the lease.

,

However, suing customers is expensive and not very good business, so if you refused to continue, it is likely that they would just agree to retain the deposit and terminate the contract.

.

As for the price difference, dealers are in this to make as much money as possible, they aren't your friend. So it is up to the buyer to shop around and compare pricing before they sign anything as after they sign it is too late..

.

But as I said, it is pretty unlikely that the dealer would sue over this.

.

.

thanks