Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I am a cosigner of a loan, the person who took out the loan

Customer Question
has or is defaulting on...
I am a cosigner of a loan, the person who took out the loan has or is defaulting on the loan and is refusing to talk to the company that made the loan. The company who made the loan has no problem threatening me with garnishment of my wages but will not transfer the loan to me. Any help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/19/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good afternoon William,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Your wages cannot be garnished unless the lender first sues you, gets a judgment and then get court approval for a garnishment. The lender has no legal obligation to transfer the loan to you because it was never your loan to begin with. Speak with them about whether they will accept payment on the loan from you---they might agree to that.

However, as a rule, a cosigner has no rights as regards ***** ***** and most lenders will only speak to the co-signor after the primary borrow has defaulted and the lender is looking for payment of the loan.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Good afternoon William,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

LawTalk, Lawyer