How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19131
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started a 3 year lease with BMW in April of 2014. In July

Customer Question

I started a 3 year lease with BMW in April of 2014. In July 2015, I
transferred the lease to a friend (John) who wanted to assume the lease. BMW
financial services processed the assumption and the car was ready to be
picked up by my friend. At this point, all John needed to do was register
the car in GA and pick up the vehicle but due to unforseen circumstances,
John did not need the car anymore and we are trying to revert the
assumption. The problem is that the title is in GA and BMW can't start the
assumption process without it. GA DMV says John needs to pay taxes (over
$3,000) just to get the title. The car was never in his possession. Is there
any legal way of reverting everything back to where it was without having to
pay GA taxes? Your input will be appreciated.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

I will need to opt out and let someone else more experienced in these areas assist you. Your deposit is still in tact.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. I will be further assisting you with the post.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties. I am preparing my response to your post and I will post it very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Regrettably, there is no way to legally revert everything to avoid GA taxes. Even if he never had possession of the vehicle, the vehicle has a GA title. In order to get the title from GA DMV, taxes must be paid. There is no way around this.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions