How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 56540
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Last year, my husband worked in MI, but we lived in Indiana.

Customer Question

Last year, my husband worked in MI, but we lived in Indiana. His company took the taxes out for Michigan, but not Indiana. We filed our taxes with Indiana and paid the amount due. At the end of May, we were transferred to Tennessee and my husband started work with a new company. On Friday, he received a note from HR that they received a garnishment notice from a collection agency who is responsible for collecting past due accounts for the Indiana Dept of Revenue. Apparently, we miscalculated and owe an additional $5,100, including penalties. They have already issued a tax warrant, levied our bank accounts and garnished my husband's wages at 25%. The only income going into our bank accounts is from his income. Is it legal for them to not only garnish his wages, but then take the rest of his pay through the bank levy?? It has left us with absolutely zero money. What are our options? We called the company and asked to work out a payment plan, but they refused. We never received anything from this company. The bank levy happened Friday and his company received the garnishment notice on Friday. This company, Premier Credit of North America, never sent us a single notice, but had our new address. Shouldn't we have the right to dispute this? We didn't even receive notice that our return was incorrect. Thank you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

You have a right to dispute and you should have received notice. You may file a motion to vacate and lift any levy. When court finds no notice was given, it often will vacate it all, and restore the case returning any funds wrongly taken.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 11 months ago.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions