Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I have spent thousands of dollars on "in app purchases" for

Customer Question

I have spent thousands of dollars on "in app purchases" for the game, War of Nations, using an android phone. The game itself always has glitches and issues with all sorts of general aspects, functions, and features. I have contacted their customer support team so many times about one of those functions/features that simply don't work on my account. In the game there is a campaign mode where you can add the military units that you have built, and then you can click on individual missions and play them for rewards. These rewards are critical in the games evolving new features. It's every top gamers objective to be the strongest, and thats only accomplished by playing these missions and other methods for reward. But this specific feature, "Campaign Missions", is the only feature that provides rewards of a specific kind which is needed to upgrade things like: Commander upgrades, or player specific boosts.
My account was only able to play,"Campaign Missions", during the first week of its release to the game. While I was able to play this feature for that week. I had spent money to upgrade the base inside of this campaign feature. Once I had maxed out the upgradeability of that base, the week was over, and it started to not work. I had one other person from my alliance who quite because his wasn't working either, and it happened the same time, and after he maxed everything out with the upgrades. We both contacted their support team many times about this with zero resolution. They either tell me that they are sending the issue to the game developers, and then they will fix it or release a new update to fix it. Or they tell me that it's operating as expected, and that no problem exists. Which to me is a slap in the face, and sounds like I'm being blocked from playing it on purpose.
With as much money as I have spent, and with all the issues that arise, I have received refunds for purchases, from Google. I have also had to go as far as calling my bank to reverse the charges made on a separate occassion.
I feel as if the games developers have been making all sorts of features and functions not work on my account. And I feel as if my contacts to their customer support for resolutions are being ignored, or purposefully not being taken care of, because of these refunds I've received.
I have since then, still spent money in the game here and there, because for a while it was the only way I could receive the items that are usually rewarded, and are not otherwise obtainable.
Still to this very day - which is coming close to a full year now of this one very specific feature not working, and never being fixed - my contacts with their support staff are never handled. And I've spent well over $25,000 on the in game stores. I can provide examples of my emails by uploading them as a picture file if neccessary and the replies to those emails from customer support. And I can show proof of the amounts of money that I have invested in to this game over the past few years. As well as photo evidence that these functions and features don't work.
Is there any legal action that I can take on the games company, or with Google, for the lack of support? Can I sew them for neglecting me?
*note: the game itself is free to play. It's only the items and gold currency that a customer pays for.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, if the "game itself is free to play," you play at your own risk. The purchases you make to play the game are at your own risk. The gaming company, and/or Google has no legal duty to compensate you for the lack of support.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This can't be the only end all answer, sir. I do understand what you are saying about the game being a consumer assuming the risk therefore puting liabilities on the consumer by choice. Thats why I wrote that note. But that can't be the only possible answer. There has to be some level of responsibility the game owners have that can be assumed, to providing quality when you are paying for those items. Such as the fact that I paid real money for the resources required to upgrade the command base which is solely operated in this "Campaign Missions" feature, which everyone else is able to continue enjoying, where as I am not. Mine went unusable. And there has to be some sort of provable discrimination towards me, when every other player is able to enjoy their gaming experience, and I am being blocked from those experiences. There has to be some kind of consumer protection law that my case could fall under for the reason that they purposefully neglect me and don't provide me with a quality product, but yet they are fully willing to continue taking my money. Or even perhaps that it could be proven that the game earns money off of me by means of the same mental and emotional tactics as gambling. Thriving on the mental disabilities of consumers addictions. Because very many of the items you pay for, wind up being delivered by means of "chance", just like gambling. They will offer consumers items of great value with pictures of those items and then once opened you find that you don't get those items. But instead you get something of a much lesser value. Most often if not always, being items that are available for free just by playing the game?To me, these tactics are great examples of gambling, or even criminal like business practices, where they are sucker ing people into accepting their losses, and encouraging to try again. At some point when a Player has put in years of time, money, and mental anguish, that those players are in fact addicted. It happened to me, and I couldn't even notice it until I just said it now. This makes me even more angry and feeling taken advantage of.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't there something that you could ask me to provide to you, that would help you give me better answers? I feel as if there is more effort that you could put into your answer to help me better understand all the options to my original questions.

I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

different expert here.

Expert:  attyadvisor replied 1 year ago.

I am a different attorney. Have you filed any consumer protection complaints with the State and Federal consumer protection agencies?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

I can suggest some options, would you like that?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

awaiting your reply, thanks.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

do you still need an answer?