How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3992
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother had a verbal agreement (and a handshake) with a

Customer Question

My mother had a verbal agreement (and a handshake) with a contractor who also happended to be a lifetime family friend (so she thought). He had done work for her in the past (greater than 10 years ago) successfully. The job was a simple bilco outside door install. The time frame was supposed to be 3-4 weeks with a cost of $2500. She gave him a check for $1250. It has now been 2 and 1/2 months, with nothing more than a hole dug. The contractor has lied about coming and going, lied about attempting to get a permit, and gave the job to his son supposedly. My mother has been keeping records of their comings and goings, taking pictures and saving text messages, along with documenting any phone conversations. She is not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The most cost effective thing for her to do is file a complaint with her State Attorney General Office of Consumer Protection.

That office can investigate and often get her her money back.

The other alternative is to bring a suit in small claims court for the $1250.00. But this costs money, time and energy.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Consumer Protection Law Questions