Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I would like to know if this is a worth of time and if it's

Customer Question
Hi there! I'm Owen Serrano...
Hi there! I'm Owen Serrano and I would like to know if this is a worth of time and if it's a possible to contest what happened to me with this locksmith company - Austin 24/7 Mobile Service(###) ###-####. Today and around noontime, a service man from Austin 24/7 Mobile Service came as he immediately introduced himself to me that he is a professional locksmith; showing his ID, but not able to get his full name. It was a quick snap of his wallet then he said that the charged to unlock the door was $169.00. Because I do have an old car(toyota camry 1999) and he needs a special tools to unlock it and if the driver windows will be shuttered it will be covered by my insurance company and "no worries". First, I'm so hesitate to make a deal with him because what I had experienced with this situation with my father when he had locked his door and called the yellow cab and we just paid like $30.00. But you can see that he was so persuasive and marketed that it could be claimed to your insurance company. I asked him thrice about the promising claimed for the insurance company and he said "YES". By the way this was happened in the parking area of POSTAL Office (7700 NorthCross Drive, Austin TX). and also left my phone inside the car. What I did before was that I borrowed a phone from the employee of postal office and that person searched a locksmith company as she dialed it and I'm the one talked to the phone. We settled that I will have their services. The service man as he was finished saying the condition of the situation he took out his service invoice immediately asked my drivers licensed as I showed it to him. Wrote my name in his invoice immediately with all the information needed and also he wrote the total price $193.75 then he wants me to sign it right there without doing the job first. I was so hesitated,so what I did I asked him before I'm going to sign it, he needs to write down what he said to me that this could be claimed to my car insurance company and asked him to put his name which is "MIKE". Then he said that I should write also that I agree with the price and satisfied with their service even he haven't render his service first. So to make it short, the service invoice was signed first before the service. For less than 2 minutes it was unlock and for me it was not a special tool because he just used the standard tools which were the inflatable cups and the guide wire. I used my credit card for the payment , but when when my credit card was not able to get through due to the Bank of America security purposes. That's the time he said that you could pay it cash or other cards. I said to him "No" I'll pay you with my credit card so that I could dispute it in case the insurance company denies my claim about this situation. So, I called the BOA it took me 40mins to be able to reactivate my credit card from there we did the transaction. My goal is not to have a free service but to pay a rightful amount of service. I'm willing to pay maximum $50 but not $193.76. I felt I was con with my situation. I'm an honest permanent resident without any bad record doing the right thing in life. Thank you for your time and effort.
Owen Serrano
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/11/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, once you signed agreeing to the price for the service, you bound yourself to that agreement. You could try to sue in small claims, justice court, in Texas, but if they produce that contract with your signature, even though as you said you signed it before service, the court will simply say you should not have signed and once you did that was your agreement to the price regardless. If your car insurance has lock out service, it is better you submit it to them. Going to court on this is a very low chance of success with you signing that invoice, even though you did so against your better judgment, and you should have told him thank you and found another locksmith company if you did not like the price (that is what the judge would say I am sorry to say).
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer