How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask insearchoftheanswer Your Own Question
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 55473
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
insearchoftheanswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has a car in a shop in Maryland. He was quoted a

Customer Question

My son has a car in a shop in Maryland. He was quoted a price of $1300 for the repairs needed and has text messages showing this. The shop now has had his car for four months and they called him this morning and told him he owes an additional $3000 for the job that was quoted for approximately $1300. How would he go about getting his car back without having to pay that outrageous amount they called him on today when no one called him and told him, in advance, that it would be an additional $3000 and that they would have it so long? They have already performed "the work" and will not give him his car unless he pays the bill.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Kathleen. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 1 year ago.

The shop is in breach of contracts and your son should raise the stakes on the shop. They're the experts and your son had the right to rely upon their estimate; if there was a mistake, it's the shop who should bear the burden of that mistake. What your son should do is raise the stakes on the shop by sending them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demanding that they release his car for the $1300 as estimated within a short specified period of time. He should inform them that if his demand is not timely complied with, he will have no choice but to file a suit for his damages. BUT, he wants to be sure to let them know if he's forced to file this suit, he will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as deceptive trade practice and fraud causes of action, which will entitle you not only to his actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times his actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your son's demands; but, if it does not, he should file suit.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!