How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have renters insurance and the house we are renting

Customer Question

We have renters insurance and the house we are renting experienced a leak and subsequent flooding and mold. The actual event happened when our policy was in force (May). The policy expired end of June but we did not renew. The work on the house didn't commence until July. We have been paying for a hotel while the house is being repaired. Before I file the claim and get in to a wrestling match with the insurance company over the claim, I am seeking advice as to whether or not the insurance company is going to attempt deny paying for the hotel stay since the policy is no longer in force (but the claim happened while the policy was in force). We had no control over when the work was done to repair the damage since it was in the homeowners court.According to our policy there is verbiage which states: "The periods of time under loss of use provisions are not limited by expiration of this policy"
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

There are two types of policies:

1. An Occurrence policy protects you from any covered incident that “occurs” during the policy period, regardless of when a claim is filed. An occurrence policy will respond to claims that come in even after the policy has been canceled/expired ; so long as the incident occurred during the period in which coverage was in force.

2. Claims-made policies provide coverage for claims only when BOTH the alleged incident AND the resulting claim happen during the period the policy is in force. Claims made policies provide coverage so long as the insured continues to pay premiums for the initial policy and any subsequent renewals.

So you will need to read the policy to see which type it is; but it sounds to me that you may have an Occurrence policy based on the verbiage you cited.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you.