How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6391
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if I am charged significantly more than the

Customer Question

What can I do if I am charged significantly more than the estimate?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 11 months ago.

Estimates, generally, must be professionally reasonable. If the contractor discovered issues along the way that were a surprise and he could not have been aware of at the time of the estimate, then a 10-20% overage might be reasonable. To challenge the estimate you will need to compare the estimate and the details of the final invoice to see why there is a variance. Next, you will need to consult with another contractor to get a professional opinion to see if that variance makes any sense. If it does, then you will likely owe the extra money. If it does not, then you will need to ask the contractor to adjust the invoice accordingly.

If this ends up in court on a breach of contract suit filed against you, then you will need to have an expert come testify on your behalf to disprove the invoice as reasonable.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions