How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need some help with resolving a debt that goes back to

Customer Question

I need some help with resolving a debt that goes back to 2002. With various things that have happened thru the course of it up unitil 2016. I need to speak to someone that can help me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. What exactly can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** debt?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They got a judgment against me in 2005. For the amount of $13, 345.01. Apparently they were granted interest of 24%. An attorney was to represent me. He was a friend of my husbands and so I trust that they would take care of it. Since then my husband has died and the attorney that had all of the records in the case will not return my calls or return the documents to me.I went in for credit reviews and all of that. In the course of the year they have made my life miserable. Have threatened me even when I was making payments to them. When I finally got them to put something in writing they had figured with interest that I owed them $52, 395.58. I have paid the original balance and more in the amount of $19, 425.00. I got an attorney and she wrote them a letter and they stopped the harassment. I had her send them a letter to redo this so that we could come up with an increase in payment and agree to a limit on the time line that this payment would cover. They will not respond. What do I do next. I am going to retire in 3 years and they are not going to get the 400.00 a month after that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is Sacor Financial is that means anything?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. You state "What do I do next." Well, this is a bit of an open-ended question. I am not sure what you are trying to "attack" here - the interest on the judgment, ways to reduce the overall debt, etc...? Thank you in advance for clarifying.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need some resolution tn. I live in Washington State. I want them to agree to take $600.00 a month for 3 years and call it good. They are getting twice the amount of the original debt.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this issue is too complicated for someone to resolve I know...
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. I will further assist your with your post.

In my experience the Judgment creditor is unlikely to settle. I will not pay another cent on this debt if I were you. You have paid off the debt. The only thing you would be paying now is the outrageous interest rate. So, you should not do it.

You may consider filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection if you eligible to wipe out this debt if you have a real estate or other assets that the Judgment creditor can get to. If you do not have any asset, then you are Judgment Proof and there is really nothing the Judgment creditor can do to you.

You would be eligible to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, if you meet the Means test—the income test. If your income is equal to or less than the current income guidelines for your family size in your state, you would be eligible to file for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy all things being equal. The income used in calculating the Means test is the income for the 6 months before the filing of the bankruptcy petition. This means that if you are filing for bankruptcy protection this month, August 2106, the income that would be used is your income from February 2016 to July 2016. If you are filing next month, September 2016, the income that would be used in the Means Test calculation would be the income from March 2016 to August 2016, etc. Social Security benefits are not considered income in the bankruptcy context.

Click on the link below to see the current income guidelines for your state:

The filling fee for Chapter 7 is $335.00. You may able to waive this filing fee if your income is 150% below the current poverty guidelines. Click here for current poverty guidelines:

You must receive budget and credit counseling from an approved credit counseling agency and obtain a Certificate of Credit Counselling to be filed with your bankruptcy case. The agency will review possible options available to you in credit counseling and assist you in reviewing your budget. Different agencies provide the counseling in-person, by telephone, or over the Internet.

It is usually a good idea for you to meet with an attorney before you receive the required credit counseling. Unlike a credit counselor, who cannot give legal advice, an attorney can provide counseling on whether bankruptcy is the best option. If bankruptcy is not the right answer for you, a good attorney will offer a range of other suggestions. The attorney can also provide you with a list of approved credit counseling agencies, or you can check the website for the United States Trustee Program office at

After your case is filed, you must complete an approved course in personal finances. This course will take approximately two hours to complete. Your attorney can give you a list of organizations that provide approved courses, or you can check the website for the United States Trustee Program office at

Consult a local bankruptcy attorney for further explanations of your rights and responsibilities.

The sites below are good resources for finding bankruptcy attorneys in your area:

If you cannot afford an Attorney, then the next best alternative will be to use bankruptcy petition preparer. Bankruptcy petition preparers prepare bankruptcy forms but they cannot give you legal advice because they are not attorneys. You can do a search on Google to find bankruptcy petition preparers.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My situation is this. Sacor drew up a Dept Cancellation agreement. I have been paying on this since June of 2013. I have signed nothing. I offered them the property that I had that I was selling and they refused it. I would have given it to them for 50,000.00 dollars and then this would cancel out the debt. They said no. I cannot file bankruptcy I have a job. I bring home about 2,00.00 a month. 400.00 of that is going to them right now. If I stop making payments can they guarnish my wages? The calling me every 15 minutes 24 hours a day for weeks about drove me nuts. They are holding me hostage for the rest of my life. I have paid on this for 3 years.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your wages can be garnished. See Revised Code of Washington Title 6 Chapter 6.27 Section 6.27.150

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also they did not serve me they mailed it to me..
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Regrettably, it is too late now to use that as a defense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have any rights here at all? I do not seem to see any way out of this...I do not have any other debt. They are it. Unless you count Car payment and light bill and that..I do no qualify I do not think for filing bankruptcy. Can I use them not responding to my letter a reason to stop making the payments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Filing Bankruptcy is not an option for me. My employer will get involved and I work for a gov agency.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, but I do not have anything else to add to previous responses to you. So, I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Did you want to discuss this further over the phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is not helping... I thought maybe you would know something that could help me.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

This is why I am trying to talk with you on the phone to see if there are any solutions that may work for you.