How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 9970
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We hired a contractor to replace 135 amp panel with a new

Customer Question

We hired a contractor to replace 135 amp panel with a new panel,he replaced it but did not finish the job. Now we are having great difficulty trying to get him to finish the job ,we have called his supervisor and have gotten no help from him. We called the county of Sacramento who inspected the job and told them that the job was not finished and he was telling me how to finish the job. I have called my homeowners insurance who payed for the job and left messages still no response. This has been a complete nightmare.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Oh I am sorry to hear that!

You mention this was an insurance job; normally the adjuster will deal with a contractor when the contractor is in breach of the contract. Basically, when a contractor agrees to do a job for a set price, the contractor is obligated to finish the job, and the homeowner would pay per the contractual terms (or the insurance). If the contractor fails to finish the job, the homeowner can sue for breach of contract, and normally the court will award financial damages (ie money paid to a third party to complete the job -typically it is more costly to have 2 people complete one job).

A complaint can be filed here:

If a formal complaint is filed (you mention a county inspector came out and deemed it was not finished but at the state level they will open a file and make a determination as to the proper remedy and then disburse bond money if appropriate) then the homeowner can seek recovery from the contractor's surety bond that is on file with the state; this is allowed after the department rules in the homeowner's favor.

However, since insurance is involved, the homeowner should not have to deal with this; rather that is the job of the adjuster. You can contact the state insurance commissioner:

Normally if the adjuster knows that a customer is so dissatisfied with the process that they will file with the commissioner, they tend to prioritize that case and follow up with the contractor or hire a third party contractor to complete the job.

It is best to have documentation of everything, (ie dates of phone calls/communication) and then a summary letter of demand detailing the events and the requested relief-

Instructions on how to write a demand letter, with a template, here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!