Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I received a notice from a Collection Agency that a debt

Customer Question

I received a notice from a Collection Agency that a debt incurred in the Fall of 2012 at Halifax Hospital had been turned over for collection. I was a student at the time and was covered by United Healthcare insurance. The debt should have been covered by insurance. This is the first I am hearing of this. I no longer have info on the policy number, etc. only the dates that I was in the school. Am I still liable for this debt? Is there a statute of limitations that applies? I am not sure what to do. Should I acknowledge the notice?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You should not acknowledge the debt. You want to ask for proof of debt pursuant to the fair debt collection practices act. You would need to reject it as untimely and waived, in that they have also not pursued recovery from the insurer first. You can of course pass it on to the insurer as well, which they may well cover.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly let me know if that is clear, tried to expedite for you

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me positively.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

thanks in advance.