How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not sure if this is a real estate attorney question,

Customer Question

I am not sure if this is a real estate attorney question, but I am hoping you will tell me. My fiancé just closed on a condo. To do it, he had to pay off a $7,000 credit card bill. For some reason, the settlement company told him the best way to do it was for him to give them the money, and they would pay the credit card company. He gave them the money.
That was 6 months ago. For some reason, they keep sending a check to the credit card company (as in MAILING) and the checks keep getting returned.
Meanwhile, his credit is being affected. Can you tell me what steps we should take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

File a dispute with the credit reporting agency [CRA] and let them know that you have tried to pay off the debt but the CC company keeps returning the check and you want to dispute the negative credit information now. The CRA should them get in touch with the CC company to help you get this straightened out. Here is a sample letter.