How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 9996
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I opened two credit cards in New Jersey for my Brother--he's

Customer Question

I opened two credit cards in New Jersey for my Brother--he's now maxed both that have credit lines of $10,000. He owes me $19,800 and I advised him if he doesn't stop charging for a failing business, I would close both accounts. He replied that if i did that "(I'd) be screwed for over $19,000," adding that "he's in control of the accounts" even though its under my name. What is my recourse, plan of action and how can I fight this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this; can you clarify if you opened them in your brother's name with him as primary, or if he is an authorized user on the account?

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Since you are offline I will provide some information in case you are online when I am not; please post any follow up questions here and I will respond.

I will assume that this is an authorized user, since that is the norm;

so basically when a primary adds an authorized user to the account, the primary assumes legal responsibility for any purchases made by the authorized user. There is no obligation to allow an authorized user to continue to have access to the account; the primary can simply contact the credit card company and inform them to remove the authorized user from the account.

After the accounts are closed, the primary can then sue the authorized user for money that was spent, alleging breach of contract (presumably there was a oral or written-typically oral in this situation- agreement to reimburse).

Unfortunately, given the amount, Superior court is the proper venue (not small claims or limited court); that information is here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned 5 stars as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions