How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3987
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently bought a car from a dealer who wouldn't offer in

Customer Question

I recently bought a car from a dealer who wouldn't offer in house financing,but found a bank that would.We purchased the car for $8995 before interest.This included a 2 year/24,000 mile powertrain warranty. 2weeks later the engine locks up so the dealer said send it to his mechanic I did so then he says the mechanic has to diagnose it and enter the claim before I can receive a loaner or rental car.Then he says I'll have to pay for the engine.PLEASE HELP
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Please bear with me while I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly.

Thank you.

Kind regards,


Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The dealer has an obligation to fulfill the warranty and service agreement. He is playing hard ball hoping that you do not know how to get your rights enforced. But there are a number of steps that you can take that can get the Dealer to stand behind his warranty/service contract.

1) You can file a complaint with the Virginia Attorney General Office of Consumer protection. File the complaint alleging that the dealer has engaged in fraud and unfair business tactics. It cost you nothing to file the complaint, and the it may be sufficient to get the Dealer to comply.

Here is the link to that office:

2) The Federal Trade Commission also enforces laws pertaining to warranties and extended service agreements. So you can file a complaint with the FT alleging that the dealer is violating the law regarding warranties by asserting that there is a warranty but not abiding by it. Also you can allege that he sold an extended warranty and is not standing behind that either.

Here is the link to the FTC:

3) Virginia also has a Board of Motor Vehicle Dealers. This Board licenses and regulates the dealers. So you can also file a complaint with the Board:

4) You can also file a compliant with the Better Business Bureau:,VA&strType=branch

5) None of the above actions require you to spend money. BUT they can get you the help you need without filing a law suit. You can also sue in small claims court, but the limit is only $5,000.00 and you have to pay the filing fees and service costs. BUT in combination with the above actions this may give you the leverage you need to get the Dealer to provide you the relief you deserve.

6) When you file the above complaints also prepare a letter to the Dealer. The letter will describe the problem that you are having and request the remedy that you want. You will attach a copy of the letter to the complaints that you are filing.

The letter is called a "Demand Letter." Often times a well written Demand letter will get you the remedy that you need.

This link describes how to wirte a Demand Letter and includes an example.

The key to a good demand letter is to write in simple straight forward sentences. Describe the facts and describe what you want. Even though you are writing to the Dealer, keep in mind that your real audience is the government agencies and the court. So be professional and civil in tone.

When you send the letter to the Dealer send it either Certified Mail or Fed Ex so that you have proof of delivery. Also make it clear in the letter that you are filing complaints with the above agencies and make sure that the letter includes the cc.s to the agencies at the bottom of it.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,


Related Consumer Protection Law Questions