How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 33424
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement over 10 years old. Received a letter from

Customer Question

I have a judgement over 10 years old. Received a letter from Sheriff's Department stating judgement has expired they stopped attaching my wages. Now I received a memoriam of costs after judgment acknowledgment of credit and Declaration of a cured interest letter in the mail. Don't know what to do.
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: I live in California. I'm not sure because I never received papers that I was being sued. I'm thinking maybe 2004
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: That's what I was wondering if I should do and what kind of lawyer I should talk to you
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was trying to refinance my house they sent a letter of admission to the mortgage broker with 3 different dates on it 2004 2006-2007. With it showing that they mailed that paperwork to an address that I haven't even worked out since 2005. Not even my home address
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what a memorandom of cost after judgment acknowledgement of credit and Declaration of a cured interest. Do I need a lawyer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a letter from the sheriff's department in April of 2016 stating the Judgment had expired. At which time they quit garnishing my wages
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You probably want a lawyer to help you get this straightened out with the credit reporting agency (CRA).

It sounds like the judgment has now ended and the CRA shoudl remove it from your rerport since it is more than 7 years old.

The memorandum of costs just explains that the costs were and how much. They would now be uncollectable as well as would the interest, which is what the Declaration does. It should be a Declaration of Accrued Interest as opposed to the "Declaration of a cured interest" which is what you wrote.

Most CRAs are horrible about removing this info from the report but a lawyer should be able to get them to do it quickly.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Civil Litigation or Consumer Law. Either of those will have the skill set you need.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.