How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a used car yesterday and realized that when I

Customer Question

i bought a used car yesterday and realized that when I gothome the odometer was the exact same as when I left the car lot. Mind you, it was atleast a 20mile drive back to my home from the lot. Is there any consumer protection laws or anything that would help me get my money back from the dealer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

The dealer is potentially violating multiple Oregon Civil Code Sections.

Those sections are: making a false application for a vehicle registration, ORS 803.375; falsely swearing to a fact in registering a vehicle, ORS 803.385; selling a device that causes a false odometer reading, ORS 815.410; repairing an odometer without meeting the requirements of law, ORS 815.415; removing an odometer repair notice, ORS 815.420; failing to submit an odometer disclosure to DMV, ORS 815.425; and knowingly submitting false information on an odometer disclosure, ORS 815.430

You can contact the dealer ask to void the sale (where you do not incur ANY costs), you can report the dealer to the Oregon Attorney General's Office, or you can try to negotiate some other resolution to your satisfaction with the dealer.