How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34029
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son lost s wallet with s social security card, we called

Customer Question

My son lost his wallet with his social security card, we called and reported it but recently he went to apply for a car loan and was told 3 other people are using his social security number, he did apply and got a new card, how do we get this problem resolved with others using his number
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If someone has misused your son's Social Security number or other personal information to create credit or other problems for your son, Social Security cannot resolve these problems, but there are several things your son should do.

1. He should go to and report the identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission. Or, he can call 1-877-IDTHEFT (1-***-***-****); TTY 1-***-***-****. That website is a onestop national resource to learn about the crime of identity theft. It provides detailed information to help deter, detect and defend against identity theft.

2. He also may want to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). An identity thief also might use his Social Security number to file a tax return to receive his refund. If he is eligible for a refund, a thief could file a tax return before he does and get his refund. Then, when he does file, the IRS will think he already received your refund.

If the Social Security number is ***** another individual may use it to get a job. That person’s employer would report income earned to the IRS using his Social Security number.

3. Contact a credit reporting agency online (equifax, transunion, etc.). You only need to contact one. Have a fraud alert put on the file. It will be reported to all credit reporting agencies. With that fraud alert in place (there is no charge) no one will be able to borrow money or open a credit account with his social security number without your son being contacted personally and confirming the request.

Your son may also want to order a credit report to confirm no accounts have been opened which were not opened by you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.