Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Can a dentist in the state of offer a discount rate if

Customer Question

Hello! Can a dentist in the state of Washington offer a discount rate if paying cash for the services rendered?
JA: After your first paid question, we offer a week's free trial membership when you can ask as many questions as you like.
Customer: Thank you for the offer but I only have this one question to ask at this time.
JA: Well, we require $5.
Customer: How shall I pay you?
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Sounds fair
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The offer for work to be done was quoted at a given price point that would be reduced by 20% if a cash payment in full was made within 5 days. There was a comment made by the office assistant that the cash discount was better than going through my dental plan. I felt uncomfortable with that statement so I'm wondering if the cash offer was legal?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

It is perfectly lawful to have a business offer a discount for paying cash. See HERE. They still have to pay taxes on it, of course. It is simply that credit card/debit card transactions cost merchants money. Cash does not.

Whether they hide the income or not is not your concern - you can pay cash with an incentive. This is true for dentists as well.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!