Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney 40 plus years private practice. Real Estate, Wills, Trusts, Injury claims. Still active.
18215332

If an Oklahoma business turns a bill in to a collection

Customer Question

If an Oklahoma business turns a bill in to a collection agency, does the consumer have the right to object, state their case and what time limit does the consumer have?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

While one cannot prevent a creditor from turning a bill over to a collection agency, if I the bill is either incorrect or not owed, then that fact should be communicated to the collection agency. If you refuse to pay the bill the agency must file suit, and you will have an opportunity to present your defense to the court. If you can prove your defense to the collection agency, they might elect to return the account to the creditor, because they don't want to waste their time and money trying to collect on a case where they know that they will lose in court.

I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please enter a positive rating for my assistance here by clicking on 3, 4, or 5, for which there is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.