How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of proefessional experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Air Canada has lost my baggage since yesterday. I was

Customer Question

Hi Air Canada has lost my baggage since yesterday. I was reading online that I am entitled to compensation under the Montreal Act in the amount of 1131 SDRs or approximatley $1663 USD. I was wondering what items can be claimed under this act when I formally claim reimbursement from Air Canada.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note: (1) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; and (2) I answer most questions within the hour. However, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and JA’s site disclaimers presented to you earlier. Finally, please remember to assign a feedback rating to close out the question.


Essentially you can make a claim for the fair market value of anything that was in the lost bag. The carrier will ask for receipts for things you had to buy because of a delay; plus proof of purchase for lost things [such as receipts or credit card statements, or photos of the items that were in the bag, or estimates of the value of each item].

If there is a dispute and the airline is not willing to cover something, you can decline their settlement offer and sue them in small claims court or another court of appropriate jurisdiction. Of course, how the case turns out may depend on the credibility of your witnesses and evidence; but usually mentioning this sometimes gets you some additional money as they do not want to incur the legal fees to defend such claims.