Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have a question. I brought a camera from Blackmagic design. I sent the camera to them for repair to fix the issues.

Customer Question
Instead of fixing it or...
I have a question. I brought a camera from Blackmagic design. I sent the camera to them for repair to fix the issues. Instead of fixing it or checking to see if the camera worked they destroyed it physically. When I sent it, it was in like new condition. They sent it back with a ton of physical damages. How can I file a civil case against them. Also they have treated me terribly and have been very rude and careless. They have also falsely advertise their products. They told me before I brought this product that there was no difference between there 4k and 4.6k accept one was 4k and one was 4.6k. So I brought the 4k because it was the only one available at the time. Now I find out that the 4.6k is considered their high end version and has a totally different sensor than the 4k. Please help me in this matter. I am based in Florida.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/29/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

When did you buy this camera?

What was the purchase price?

Did you document the condition of the camera before sending it in for repair by taking photos / videos of the camera prior to it being sent for repair?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nov. 2015
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
$3000 roughly. Yes I have pictures of the camera before the repair.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
$3,093 to be exact.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

Thank you for your follow up.

Please be patient as it might take a little while for me to respond to you.

Did you obtain an estimate of what it would cost to repair / refurbish the camera?

Did you contact the company with a written demand to restore or refurbish the camera to the condition it was in when it was sent?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just received the camera back today. It is under warranty so the repair would be free or replacement would be free. They told me nothing was wrong with the camera after holding it for two weeks and sent it back with lots of physical damages that it did not have when I sent it in.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the first step would be to contact the company and to make a written demand for repairs / replacement.

If the company refuses to restore / repair / replace the camera, then a small claims lawsuit can be filed against the company in the small claims court where this company is located and the judge will review the case and will make a decision according to the facts and evidence presented by both sides.

Also, a formal complaint can be filed against the company if the company refuses to remedy the situation, with your state Attorney General Office and also with Attorney General Office of the state where the company is located and also with your local Better Business Bureau and this agencies will investigate your complaint and will take proper action based on the findings of their investigation.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live in Florida and their main office is in Australia and California.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did email them in reference to the matter as well.

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, the company could be sued in California, where it has an office.

I wish you the best of luck!

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law