How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 2013 Vehicle purchased in 2014, and paid in full by me at

Customer Question

My 2013 Vehicle purchased in 2014, and paid in full by me at time of purchase; $13000.00 including taxes, Licensing. My Title still says that this Dealer is the Lienholder. I am unable to sell my car, and this Dealer reports that this is their "protocol." Now this Dealer wants me to pay them $150.00 to Notarize this Transfer of Ownership??? I am at a loss for words. This appears to be so unethical. Any suggestions? Neila
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear this- the DMV actually has jurisdiction over disputes involving dealer fraud/misrepresentation. A complaint can be filed here:

Since a dealer must not report inaccurate or fraudulent information to the DMV, reporting a lien when there is not one would fall within the jurisdiction of the DMV.

Another option would, if one is in a hurry, would be to pay the money and then sue in small claims (jurisdiction over disputes less than $10000) (small claims does not have jurisdiction to order specific performance alone-ie to order the dealer to remove the lien at no cost)

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in on the above; thank you for using JA!

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions