Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

My daughter was recently married and we had the reception at

Customer Question
an upscale facility. Prior to...
My daughter was recently married and we had the reception at an upscale facility. Prior to her booking the venue and choosing the menu, we had heard that their filet mignon was was substandard and discussed removing it as an option. They assured us that they were now using a new vendor and it was excellent. The day of the wedding there were many many mistakes made on the part of the staff. The wedding coordinator was not to be found, did not arrange for family to be seating in the first rows, leaving them empty, etc etc many problems and the filet served did not seem any better than the sample of the original. Some had to be sent back as it could not even be cut and was inedible. A guest had to visit the dentist afterwards after the tough piece of steak dislodged a filling! I plan to document the long list of problems from that day and contact the venue demanding a refund of some of the $ I spent. If they are not cooperative, am I able to sue them over these matters?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
6/22/2016
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you today. Congratulations first off to your daughter on her wedding.

As your question, it depends on what was contracted for and what guarantees they made you. For example, if you under the contract were guaranteed the use of a wedding coordinator for 8 hours, and they showed up late and you only had their services for 5 (regardless of how good or not good they were during that time) that would be considered a breach. Similarly, if the contract called the filet to be served to only be "Grade A" USDA prime beef and it was a lower quality, that is a breach.

You may also have an argument to sue on the grounds of misrepresentation and detrimental reliance. Misrepresentation is a false statement of fact made by one party to another, which induces them into entering into an agreement. Similarly, detrimental reliance is a promise made that induces a party to enter into an agreement. "Our filet is top quality USDA prime" might induce you to pay extra for that, to detrimentally rely on their assurances --only to find out it wasn't true.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

One other thing that I should mention is that they told me that because my meal was inedible they would box up 3 or 4 meals that I could take with me but they never did and they told certain guests the same thing yet never provided them with replacements.

In terms of legal issues such as breach of contract, misrepresentation or detrimental reliance, that's not really an issue you'd raise -you didn't rely on their promise that you could take your food to go when you signed the agreement. It's certainly something that you'd want to raise with your other complaints to the facility itself, but not really something you'd include in a lawsuit.

Was there something else that I could help you with in respect to this question? Was there something I could clarify for you?

RobertJDFL, Lawyer