How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Edward Beckham Your Own Question
Edward Beckham
Edward Beckham,
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 2
Experience:  Attorney at Self Employed
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Edward Beckham is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have disputed a charge on my credit card service never

Customer Question

Hi I have disputed a charge on my credit card for a service never received. My credit card company sent me a letter that was faked by the merchant saying the refund was received in cash. Is there any way I can prove the letter is fake and fraudulent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Edward Beckham replied 1 year ago.
1) Report it to the local police department in the area where the merchant is located. Report to the police that someone else fraudulently prepared and executed/signed the letter. It was not you. Let the police investigate, but be sure to ask them for the police report number and point of contact.(2) After filing the police report, inform your credit card company that you dispute the authenticity of the letter provided by the merchant; you have no knowledge of it and did not sign it. Tell them you have filed a police report, as such, and provide them with the police report information.BY PUTTING INTO ACTION THE ABOVE PROCESS, IT PUSHES THE BURDEN BACK ONTO THE MERCHANT TO PROCESS IT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the only way
Expert:  Edward Beckham replied 1 year ago.
If your ultimate goal is to simply get your money back, then this is the ideal method. The Card company is going need something from you to counter the letter submitted by the merchant. This method is free to you and seems easiest, because you are alleging a crime (forgery) has been committed in defrauding (another crime) you of your refund. And alternative is to sue the merchant in a civil case and waste money proving the forgery. Either way, the logical starting point is to (1) Report the forgery and fraud to the local police; (2) use the police report as a means to counter the authenticity of the letter submitted by the merchant.